Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sometimes I wish I was Amish

I’m greedy. I have champagne taste on a beer budget, as my mom would say. I love watching home improvement shows and reading up on the latest fashion trends. I drool over designer handbags when I go to Macy’s.

What do I do for fun? I go to jewelry stores and try on tons of ridiculously priced pieces of perfection, and then leave, pretending that I’m just not finding what I’m looking for. I go to the mall and try on name brand dresses and trendy clothes just to see what it would look like if I had the money for such things. When we were house hunting, I spent as much time looking at houses that were way out of my price range as I did looking at some that I could afford…

Have you ever noticed that the happiest people are the ones who have nothing? They delight in the simplest things. They find their happiness in each other. They entertain themselves by simply being together- not by sitting next to each other and zeroing in on a movie or television show (which the Hubs and I do frequently- because LOVE TV), or by playing video games, or by doing any of the millions of activities that we do “together” but not.

Sometimes I wish I was Amish. I would have my community for fellowship and entertainment, my faith for guidance, and no distractions from what is truly important.

Then again, I’d have to work REALLY hard, my hygiene would be lacking, and I’d probably have to marry my cousin/brother/uncle as there would be no other options…….

1 comment:

Beautiful Mess said...

lol at marrying your cousin, brother, uncle. I love window shopping and goofing around at stores when I have NO intention on buying things. It drives my husband CRAZY! But it's FUN! Lets so shopping ;o)