Thursday, June 26, 2008

Am I infertile?

SO I was thinking about this last night, and I'm not sure! I've been trying for 12 months with no luck. I've been diagnosed with PCOS (read this post if you're not sure what I'm talking about.) Out of the last 12 months, I've only ovulated 3 times, and 2 of those were assisted by Clomid. BUT we haven't been to an RE, and the Hubbs has yet to have a sperm analysis.



See, the thing is, I guess I kinda lumped myself in with the infertiles around 6 months of trying because of my PCOS, but now I'm second guessing. There are people out there who have been trying for YEARS to get pregnant and have taken steps to get that way. I haven't thought about IUI or IVF (and I won't, since we long ago made the decision to adopt if we couldn't do it "the old fashioned way".... but I TOTALLY support anyone who decides to go that direction.) and I haven't looked into surrogacy or adoption. I'm not really ready to go in any of those directions. Maybe I'm just a lazy infertile? Maybe I'm really a fertiles with illusions of infertility?



Here's my question to you: What makes a person qualify as "infertile?" Is there a time limit that you have to wait until you hit that status? Do you have to be diagnosed with something (ie, PCOS, endo, Male Factor...?)

10 comments:

Tammy said...

I do believe that if you have been trying for 2 yrs or 1 yr if you are older...or if you have been diagnosed with something like PCOS then ...you are considered infertile. You are always in my prayers, Jill.

Mazzy said...

The textbook definition regards your age and the amount of time you've been trying unsuccesfully.

The truth is, though, INFERTILITY is a harsh word that is often slapped on anyone that can't get pregnant within a year. Honestly, most of us are just subfertile. With the right cocktail of drugs and good timing, a lot of us wind up pregnant when the timing is right.

For me, I was immediately deemed infertile because of my PCOS I never had any periods after getting off the pill. There really was no wait for us, and then of course we found a whole host of problems on top of the PCOS along the way.

Cajun Cutie said...

Just because you are at the beginning of the tumultuous journey it doesn't mean you aren't on the journey.

Unknown said...

You know, a lot of people who are labeled "infertile" end up pregnant after they stop trying. I know it doesn't change what you're going through today, but the term is not very scientific.

nancy said...

I agree with mel.

But if I lump it all together - I believe in the 12 months w/out a successful pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

Yep...I'm with you. I sometimes wonder if I'm just a lazy infertile. We are going on 2 years and I'm not seriously looking toward IVF.

Gina said...

Thank you for stopping by and leaving me some bloggy love. Seriously, Women of Faith is SUPER. Get your girls together and go. You will not be sorry. This time was not as moving for me as the first time, but I know soe of the other girls were met by God right where they were standing.

Staci said...

i will be prayin for ya!!!

Amy said...

You have a plan. Don't consider yourself lazy just because you are not ready to start it.

(((((HUGS)))))
I'm thinking about you!

JenM said...

At some point, I had this conversation with JenK. I had been thinking of myself as "having fertility problems". Somewhere around the time I started jabbing myself in the stomach with a needle, I've decided I'm infertile. Or WE are infertile, I should say since it's both DH and I that are the problem.

Whatever you want to be, you are struggling, and we support you!