Monday, June 23, 2008

Controversy!

There’s been some controversy on the radio station I’ve been listening to. The song called “I Kissed a girl” by Katy Perry is the cause. I LOVE this song… some people- not so much. Honestly, I think the lyrics are really honest and almost innocent in a sense. I prefer this song to the blatant sexual/violent references in a lot of songs out there right now. It’s talking about a kiss, after all…. It’s not nearly as offensive as that song about rear windows, or that Superman song that’s so popular right now. You know, the one with the dance? My 6 year old cousin knows that song and the dance that goes along with it. It’s pretty darn trashy and I hate it.



Apparently there are some parents that listen to the radio station that are WAY opposed to this song. I don’t have kids, but I’m pretty sure that if I did, I wouldn’t mind them listening to something like this (well, if they were over the age of 10, I guess.) Honestly, though, how hard is it to change the station if that song comes on… or turn the radio off for a few minutes. I don’t have any problem turning off a song that I don’t like, and it’s not the radio station’s job to censor what my kids hear, it’s my job (hypothetically speaking, of course, since I’m not a mom yet.) I’d love to hear your opinions on it. Do you agree, or do you think I’m way off base?



Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl lyrics

This was never the way I planned
Not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion
It's not what, I'm used to
Just wanna try you on
I'm curious for you
Caught my attention

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it

No, I don't even know your name
It doesn't matter
You're my experimental game
Just human nature
It's not what, good girls do
Not how they should behave
My head gets so confused
Hard to obey

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it

Us girls we are so magical
Soft skin, red lips, so kissable
Hard to resist so touchable
Too good to deny it
Ain't no big deal, it's innocent

I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it



Song lyrics | I Kissed A Girl lyrics

6 comments:

Mazzy said...

I love the song! It has a great beat and good melody.
I would probably NOT want my small children to hear it, but that's the parent's job-not the radio station's!
And PS-if you go to urbandictionary.com it will tell you exactly what "Superman tha ho" means. It is SO DISGUSTING.

Fifty K said...

Don't know the song but the lyrics that I read aren't bad. Parents will flip out over this song but nothings said about the other songs that reference women as bitches and hoes? Hmm what's wrong with this country. Are people really bent out of shape because someone sings about a same sex experience? WTF

SAHW said...

unrelated to your post...just wanted to thank you for your advice on the Clomid dilemma - we did decide to start on it...and I will be done taking it before we leave, so hopefully it won't impact my trip. :)

andrea said...

i'm with you jill!
just change the damn station if you don't like it, it' really not that bad of a song - comparitivly.
and i like the beat!!

ppl always have to have something to bitch about!

Tammy said...

I think it would bother me if my little girl thought this was acceptable. Maybe I am just old. =)

Anonymous said...

I had a talk with my best friends 13 year old daughter, Courtney. Courtney had 2 girls in her 8th class last year who openly admitted being bisexual. While I think they could be bi, I think that is such an early, formative age that they do not need a song like this telling them "it's innocent". It's anything but. Talk to me in 13 years when your teenage daughter is blaring this song in her room and then asks you if Amber, her "friend" can come over for a sleepover. If you don't mind the song, you might not mind her experimenting in your home with her girlfriend, while you might flip if she were experimenting with her boyfriend. Kids are going to do things, try new things, etc. Should the parents really give their thumbs up? Let your future daughter hear the song when she's 13 if you truly don't have a problem with the song. If you don't want her listning to it at that age, she might argue, "But mom, it's got a good beat." So does that Superman song, but it's trash.

The answer to the questions, "How did we get here?" is always, "A little bit at a time."