Tuesday, August 12, 2008

An Homage to some Amazing Women

It's come to my attention in the past few days that I have some pretty incredible women in my life. I feel the need to tell the world how much they mean to me and how amazing and strong I think they all are.



First, I'm going to tell you all about my friend T*. When I met T, I felt an automatic connection- like she was a long lost family member, or a sister that I never knew I had. T is a mom of 2. Her son just graduated from, and her daughter is just entering high school. She raised them, basically, on her own, and they are some of the most amazing kids I have ever met. They're kids, so of course they aren't perfect, but they were raised with a sense of responsibility and respect that I just don't see in many people. She has so much to be proud of when she looks at them, but she'll never give herself credit. She's the friend that I know I can count on for anything and everything. Although I would NEVER ask, I know she would walk over hot coals for me- and she knows I would do the same for her. It's just understood. She has blessed my life in so many ways. I consider myself so lucky and priviledged to know her.



T got engaged to be married a couple of weeks ago. She met her (super hot) fiance while we were working together. They've been together only a year less than The Hubs and I, and have been through enough to know that they have what it takes to be there for each other forever. I can't put into words how happy I am for them. If I had a million dollars, I would give them the wedding that neither of them were able to have the first time around. They deserve nothing but the best.



Now let's talk about L. L has been my best friend since our freshman year of high school. We have had MANY ups and downs, but I can't imagine my life without her in it. (You know the movie Beaches? That's us, but I'm not rich.) She's been through an awful lot in her life. She's stronger than she gives herself credit for.... and as the years go by, she's finally starting to realize how much she is worth as a person. She can make me laugh like no one in the world I've ever met. We can go months without talking and pick up where we left off. She has been so supportive through my struggles with IF, even when she's had to go through some REALLY rough times herself. I would probably fall apart if I had to go through what she is going through right now, but I have to give her credit- I have never seen her stronger or more beautiful in all of the years I have known her than she is right now.



L is going to have a baby some time in October. She has so much love to give, this child doesn't stand a chance. She is going to be an amazing mother.



Last in this post, but definitely not least, is my sister, Em. Em has proven herself to be SO much stronger and dedicated than I ever imagined she could be. My little sister is going to school to be a special education teacher. She is spending her summer at a rotary camp taking care of kids/adults with mild- severe disabilities. She is putting in long, hard hours. She's sleeping in a cabin, swimming in a lake, and helping grown people bathe and use the restroom!



I'm so amazed at the things that she is doing. This summer has been hard on her, but she is more resolved than ever that this is how she wants to spend the rest of her life. I am so, so proud of her.



*I haven't asked T or L if they would mind if I posted their names, so I just posted their initials. If they're reading this, they know who they are.

2 comments:

K.W. said...

The way you write selflessly about others makes me remember how good of a person you are. Of course I already remembered but this just immediately reminds me.

Beautiful Mess said...

I did this about one of my friends the other day and it feels SO good to let everyone know how great your friends are! You do have amazing friends and I bet they think you're pretty amazing yourself!